TKA is a surgical procedure perform by an orthopaedic surgeon when a conservative or non surgical treatment has been unsuccessful. Most of the procedures involve a “two component” or bi-compartmental prosthetic system to replace the proximal (upper end) tibia and distal (lower end) femur. If the patient experiences patellofemoral joint syndrome, they could resurface the posterior aspect (behind) of the patella (knee-cap), as well.
TKA is also commonly indicated in the following conditions:
- severe joint pain with weight bearing or movements that restrict functional activities
- severe destruction of articular cartilage of the knee secondary to advanced arthritis
- excessive deformities of the knee
- marked instability or limitations of knee movement
Physiotherapy & Chiropractic Treatments Post Surgery for TKR or TKA
- Control of postoperative swelling and pain
- Range of motion and strengthening exercises
- Gait training
- Other physiotherapy techniques
- Home exercise program
At PhysioMAX Wellness, we ensure the patient understands what exactly has gone on with their knee and what is needed to return them to their desired previous activities of daily living. We have many techniques to quicken the healing process and re-gain motion and strength lost prior to the surgery. Our patients gain confidence quickly and see large differences weekly.